Tuesday 29 May 2012

Leg 4 - Fort William to the middle of bloody nowhere

Firstly BIG SHOUT for the Buccleuch Guesthouse in Fort William. Not only were they lovely and the room immaculate but they washed my kit for me. For nothing. Great great place.


Well I always knew today would be tough as it contained the climb over Glen Coe. What I didn't realise was just how hard it would be. The first 25 miles or so up to around 1,000 feet were fine but I just ran out of gas completely and the next 20 miles nearly bloody killed me. At the top there was nothing but beautiful mountains surrounding us so I tucked into 2 (two) pot noodles, neither of which was particularly satisfying. Still, they were better than nothing and I'd had my share of jelly beans, energy gels and bars. The descent down was good but it became apparent that I would be heading uphill (again) and into a headwind. I nearly had a 'fling my bike in a loch' moment, everything was aching, both knees, my right ankle, my arms, neck, I just didn't know if I could get through it.


Eventually I met up with Pat and we decided to go for a stop at The Green Welly Cafe, some 11 1/2 miles from our destination for the night, The Drover's Inn. I had a fantastic bowl of Lentil Soup which helped me speed through (downhill) to our destination. The place we're staying is weird, it's been featured on 'Most Haunted' and the decor hasn't been touched for decades - I think it's meant to be funny or ironic. It's neither. It just looks shit.


So, 4 days in (is that all? Christ!), I've covered 242 miles, and climbed (I think) over 10,000 feet. Tomorrow we will break through the 300 mile mark and will end up south of Glasgow for the night...it's weird to think that by Thurs evening England will be within touching distance (we're in Gretna overnight). Having looked at the hill profile for tomorrow there are very few climbs at all until around the 45 mile mark, so I intend to be on the round by 8.30, laiden with big brekkie and snacks and to try to do 45 miles off the bat before stopping in Glasgow for lunch. I'll then tackle the 1000 feet of climb straight out of Glasgow to the destination...eek!


Please keep your messages of support coming - either on here, twitter or Facebook - it is really great as it keeps me motivated.


Pic of me arriving at the (shit) haunted place. And two of the climb over Glen Coe.






Finally a vid Pat took of me cycling - sorry for the arse shots.



No comments:

Post a Comment