Thursday 31 May 2012

Update - Physio

Those of you following this will have read about my knee hurting pretty much from Day 2 onwards...well yesterday the pain got much worse. During the stop/start 10mph that was Glasgow (blog post to follow on that at some point later tonight) I started to feel it on every downstroke. Given my cadence averages at around 70 revs per minute that meant every second or so I was getting an incredible pain in my knee. I struggled the last few (uphill) miles arriving at our guesthouse after some 66 miles, it took around 6 /12 hours in the saddle. 


After icing it all night and dosing myself up with ibuprofen it was clear this morning that it wasn't any better, but I saddled up and knocked out 7 miles or so. My brother got back from Boot's with a couple of knee supports, which I tried by riding on and turning round on a petrol station forecourt (thinking I was Rod Stewart #partridge). I then did a couple of miles up hill but it was no good - I was in so much pain I actually cried without meaning to, just through the sheer pain. 


My bro picked me up and we headed to Gretna, realising there was no way I could carry on today. Whilst in the car we formulated a plan which was to check into our B & B and get a physio appointment for the afternoon in Carlisle (nearest big town, nothing in Gretna). The earliest we could get in was 3.30 so we shared a lovely chip lunch in Annan (at the award winning Cafe Royal none the less) with Lisa (whom I'd 'met' on twitter, via Amber (who I'm partly doing the ride for)), before heading to Carlisle.


The physio was fantastic, and in the unlikely event you will ever need a physio in Carlisle (!) I would highly recommend these guys. After a half hour's diagnosis she said that she thought it was one of two things - or both - quads medial patella expansion (which would have caused damage to the cartilage) or a strain/minor tear of the medial coronary ligaments (in my knee). The treatment for both was electrolysis, massage and ultrasound. This should then be followed by rest, ice, ibuprofen, and other painkillers as needed. She has also given us some tape and the knee is currently strapped to give the ligaments etc time to heal.


The long and the short is that I can't cycle today or tomorrow but I am hopeful of getting back on the bike on Saturday to start again from Kendal. In reality I will have 'missed out' about 115 miles (ironically some of the 'prettiest' and 'easiest' due to lack of climb). However the plan is to still try to do the other remaining miles and to keep to plan/schedule. If things change then I will just keep taking extra days in the car 'doing the legs' until my knee is better. The physio said I could make things worse by not resting so that is clearly what I need to do. She also gave us some details of physios in Kendal, where we're heading tomorrow, so I can get another session in then. I have a friend, Chris, joining me on Saturday and he's promised me a pint in Wigan at the end of the ride - what better incentive is there to be better by Saturday morning!?


How do I feel? Obviously on one level pretty gutted. Of course I've been through the whole, am I letting people down (?) bit and in a way I am. If you read back to some of the other reasons I am doing this, for me, it is fairly a typical of my life, ie I never quite manage to do something properly... but now is not a time for self-pity, it's a time for being practical and making the best of an unfortunate, frustrating and irritating situation.


If I can start on Saturday the reality is that I will still do around 760 not 875 miles. I will have 'only' missed out about 115 miles or so...which is still an achievement in my eyes, I am determined not to quit. Everyone has been incredibly supportive and I've had some incredibly generous sponsorship come through today (you know who you are - thank you), the belief people are showing in me has been incredible. I guess in all of it people know I am not someone that gives up easily, and have been called stubborn in my time (hence cycling for 5 days with this problem - 5 DAYS - eek!). I know that the people that know me know I would not miss out legs unless I HAD to, ie if there was no other option. 


Massive thanks go to a few people for their help/support over the last 24 hours or so. 


One - Cazz (@sunshine_cazz on twitter). She has been rabble rousing for me and her tweets and those of her friends/followers have been amazing. She also got SIR CHRIS HOY to tweet me 'Good Luck'.


Two - all my twitter/facebook/real life friends (you know who you are), with your messages saying you believe in me, it has been incredible, and has helped me make the right decisions, I have been amazed and humbled at how much support I've had.


Three - my Mum/Step-Dad - wise heads in these situations they've both given good advice (Ken by proxy) and have been really understanding.


Four - my (long-suffering) brother. He's been all over the shop, up and down back roads and hills, to Boot's in Hamilton (without getting shot), to various stop offs/petrol stations, and he didn't moan (much) when I got mud on his cream interior - he's a good bloke, and I'm proud to call him my brother.


Five - my wife, Jen. She stayed up late last night (past her normal bedtime - trust me, this is a massive thing!) and sent me a load of stuff on bike shops (for kenisio tape), physios, pharmacies etc nearby. She's listened to me when I've ranted and given me fantastic, pragmatic advice. She too, believes in me, and although she knows how disappointed I am right now she's been supportive, stoic and has helped give me a sense of perspective (for example, I've already cycled further than I did for London to Paris in 2009) and has offered for us to come up in half term in October so I can complete the missing miles from South of Glasgow to Kendal (and more if needed). 


Thanks to her and those mentioned above I will complete my JOGLE, not in one go, maybe, but I will do it. 


Anyway onwards and upwards, I will rest for the next twenty-four hours - hopefully normal service will resume on Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're taking the physio's advice, not to do so would make the situation much worse in the long run. Decide to enjoy the rest, eat well & get plenty of sleep. All being well, you'll feel a lot better by Satuday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honoured to be rabble rousing and will continue to do so until you finish. You're doing great and its good you're taking the physio's advice. Take care Dan x

    ReplyDelete